Alianz Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions

We are pleased to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about travel insurance from Allianz Global Assistance. 

If you have any additional enquiries, please contact us at:

How much does a policy from Allianz Assistance cost?

The price of each travel policy varies on the policy type, duration of the trip, where you are travelling to, the age and number of people travelling and whether any additional options are required. You should also be aware that any pre-existing medical conditions can affect the pricing for single trip and backpacker policies. For more information on pre-existing medical conditions, please check the medical conditions page.

Here is a step-by-step on how to get a travel insurance quote in our website:

> Click "Get A Quote"

> Choose the policy type: single trip, annual multi-trip or backpacker

> Enter the dates and destination of the trip you require

> Enter details of the persons requiring cover

> When choosing your policy, you will also have the opportunity to select additional cover options such as Business cover, Winter Sports, Wedding cover, Golf, or CDW (Collision Damage Waiver Excess Insurance)

What methods of payment do you accept?

You can buy a policy online or by phone using one of these card options: Visa Debit and credit cards; MasterCard.

Follow the process outlined above and if you are happy with the cover and price continue to the payment screen where you can enter your card details.

How do I know that buying my policy online is secure?

Allianz Assistance uses a secure payment gateway that makes the credit/debit card transaction directly and securely with the bank. We do not see, record or store these card details in any form, simply get approval or decline from the banking institution. Once authorised, your cover will be in effect immediately. Confirmation of your purchase, your policy document and other associated documentation will be sent to you by email within 4 hours and can be printed as required.

What if I change my mind about buying the policy?

If your cover does not meet your requirements, please tell us within 14 days of the purchase date for a full refund of your premium.
Contact us by:

020 8603 9653, lines open from 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Mail: Allianz Assistance, 102 George Street, Croydon, CR9 6HD

Can I buy Allianz Assistance travel insurance if I am not a resident of the United Kingdom?

No, you are only covered if your main home and your doctor are registered within the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and have not spent more than six months abroad in the last 12 months.

Does it matter who I book my travel arrangements through?

No, Allianz Assistance travel insurance may be purchased independently.

Does Allianz Assistance offer an Annual multi-trip policy?

Yes, as well as policies for single trips of up to 180 days, we also offer annual multi-trip cover. The annual multi-trip policy provides cover for any number of trips throughout the policy year, as long as no one trip is booked to last longer than 31 days. Cover within the UK is also included although certain terms apply (see policy document for full details).

Is there an age limit on the Allianz Assistance travel insurance policies?

Yes, both our single trip and annual multi-trip policies are only available to persons aged 75 years and under. Our backpacker policy is only available to people aged from 18 to 35 years old.

What can I do if I am older than the maximum age limit for the policy?

You may be able to obtain an alternative travel insurance policy from another provider. 

We suggest you contact either: Free Spirit Travel Insurance: Tel: 0800 170 7704 (Lines open 8.00am - 6.00pm, Monday to Friday). For an exclusive discount, use quote code: B2C1000, or, The British Insurance Brokers Association: Tel: 0870 950 1790 (Lines open 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday)

If I return home early do I get a refund?

No, if you buy a 180 days single trip policy and return home after 60 days, the policy is terminated and you will not be entitled to a refund. You will then need to purchase a brand new policy for your next trip. Annual multi-trip policies offer the flexibility of multiple travels, however no one trip should exceed 31 days.

Can I purchase a policy if I have already started my journey?

No, you must purchase your travel insurance before you travel. Your policy will not be valid if you have already left on your trip.

I have decided to extend my holiday; can I extend my single trip travel insurance policy?

It may be possible to extend your policy if your personal circumstances have not changed, if you have not made a claim on the policy at the time you extend it, and if you contact us before your policy expires.

Can I make changes to my policy or increase my level of cover?

Yes, you can make changes if you have not yet made a claim on your policy, by contacting our customer service team. Please note that you may have to pay an extra premium.

I am embarking on an extended trip and I am over the age of 35, can I purchase your backpacker travel insurance policy?

Currently our backpacker policy is only available to people aged 35 and under.

I am originally from the UK but living as an Expat abroad, do you provide a travel insurance product for me?

Whilst we are always looking at how we can improve our offering to our customers, Allianz Assistance does not currently provide a travel insurance product for British Expats abroad. However, we are pleased to recommend our sister company Allianz Worldwide Care, who may be able to help.

You can get further explanation on our page Travel Insurance for Non-UK residents or take a look at Allianz Worldwide Care website for further information.

I am only booking a one way ticket to my destination; can I buy my travel insurance from you?

No, we only provide travel insurance to UK residents with a confirmed return journey to the UK. If you are aged 35 years or under, our backpacker travel insurance may offer the flexibility you need for an extended trip of up to 365 days.

Do you provide travel insurance for students?

We do not currently provide a travel insurance product specifically for students, however you may find one of our other policies meets your needs.

We are continually looking at how we can improve our customer offering so we may introduce travel insurance designed for students in the future. Keep checking our website for updates!

If I have an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), do I still need to purchase travel insurance?

Whilst an EHIC card gives you access to state-provided medical care within the European Economic Union, it is important to note in a medical emergency you may have no control over the hospital you are taken to and the closest hospital may be private. Some of the things the EHIC card does not cover you for include:

>Cancellations, delays, lost or stolen property;

>The cost of medical treatment in a private hospital or clinic;

>The additional cost of returning to your home country or for a relative to stay or fly out to be with you.

For more detailed information on the EHIC card, visit our dedicated EHIC information page.

How do I renew my annual policy?

You can purchase a new policy online or call our customer service team on 0371 200 0428, lines are open 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday. Note that we cannot guarantee your policy will be renewed and we may vary the terms of your cover and the premium rates at the time of renewal. Please call us in advance if your policy expires during one of your travels, to make sure we'll be able to extend your policy for another year and that you're covered with us, before departing.

How do I get my insurance documents?

Allianz Assistance travel insurance is all online, so we do not send any policy documents in the post. When you buy a policy, we will send you an email confirming the cover you have purchased along with the policy wording, the IPID and any medical declaration you have provided us (if applicable) as an attachment for you to be able to save and print accordingly.

Who do I contact if I have any questions?

Our Customer Service Department is available to answer any queries between the hours of 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Call: 0371 200 0428
Please note that we are unable to give you any advice on whether this product is suitable for your needs.

Is my passport covered in my travel insurance policy?

Most of our policies include cover against the loss, theft or destruction of your passport whilst on your trip. To claim, you must have an official letter from the consulate you reported the loss to.

Cover includes costs up to the amount shown in your schedule for extra transport, accommodation and administration costs you have to pay to get a temporary passport to enable you to return home. It also includes the remaining value of the original passport that is lost, stolen or destroyed (based on current replacement costs).

Exclusions and conditions apply so make sure you read your policy wording thoroughly.

When does cover begin and end?

For single trip and backpacker cover

Cancellation cover begins from the date your policy was issued, which is shown on the email confirmation that was sent to you when you purchased the policy.
All other aspects of the cover is effective from the specified start date of your trip and finishes when you return back to the UK or on the expiry date of the policy.

For annual multi-trip cover
Cancellation cover begins either on the start date shown on your insurance confirmation email, or the date you booked your journey, whichever is later. Cancellation cover then ends at the beginning of your journey.
The cover for all other sections of your travel insurance policy starts on the first day of your journey, and ends on the last day of your journey.

Unless you cannot finish your trip as planned due to injury, illness or delays to public transport systems, cover for all policies ends at the expiry date shown on your email confirmation.

What is the maximum trip length?

Single Trip cover can be purchased for trips up to 180 days.
Our Annual Multi-Trip policy covers you for multiple trips during the year, but no one trip within this period can exceed 31 days in duration.
A Backpacker policy covers you for up to 365 days but you can only buy this if you are under the age of 35.

Am I covered for skiing or other adventure activities?

Allianz Assistance travel insurance covers many adventure activities. Please refer to the definition of 'Hazardous activity' within the policy document to understand what activities we do and do not cover. If in doubt, please give us a call.

Tel: 0371 200 0428

Am I covered for loss of cash?

Most of our policies include cover for personal money and have a sub-limit for the amount of cover for cash. There is a summary of cover provided during the quote process and also in the policy wording.

Is my baggage covered by my travel insurance policy?

Your baggage is covered in the ‘personal possessions’ section of your travel insurance policy.

Most of our policies include cover against loss, theft or damage to personal possessions up to a specified limit, as stated on your summary of cover. Some policies also include cover against delayed arrival of your personal possessions.

However, some policies do not include personal possessions cover, and in all cases, conditions and exclusions apply. Therefore it is essential that you read your policy document thoroughly to ensure you have the appropriate cover for your needs.

I have an Annual Multi-Trip Policy; do I need to let you know every time I travel?

No, there is no obligation to let us know every time you travel However if you have any questions about your travel insurance or coverage, do not hesitate to contact us.

Does my Annual Multi-Trip policy cover trips within the UK?

Yes. You will be covered for holidays in the UK and Channel Islands. However some terms and conditions do apply. You must have your transport and accommodation booked in advance, and your trip must be more than 25 miles from your home (unless it involves a sea crossing).

Are there any exclusions to the policy?

Yes. Some exclusions and conditions are specific to individual sections and general exclusions and conditions apply to the policy overall. There is also a health declaration with health exclusions that apply to the emergency medical expenses, cancellation, curtailment and personal accident sections of cover. Please read the policy document carefully to ensure you have the cover you need.

Am I covered for any pre-existing medical conditions?

Allianz Assistance will only consider pre-existing medical conditions for Single-Trip and Backpacker policies. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions to declare, you may not be able to purchase an Annual Multi-Trip travel insurance policy.

A travel insurance policy is issued based on the answers that you give to the health questions asked at the time of taking out the insurance. It's really important that you tell us about any existing medical conditions that you, or anybody else to be insured by this policy, have. If in doubt, declare.

Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Our medical emergency team is available 24 hours a day to assist you. You can reach them by calling +44 20 8686 1666 or email:

In a life or death situation call the emergency services in the country you are visiting for example 112 within the European Union or 911 in the USA.

Can I still claim even if I don't have receipts for all my personal possessions?

Yes. Claims without receipts will still be considered. Please be aware though that you will still be asked to provide alternative proof of ownership for the lost or stolen items. We understand that you might not be able to produce receipts for each and every item, but we do expect that you should be able to provide some evidence of ownership for most things and particularly expensive items. Typically, we may accept photographic evidence in conjunction with warranty cards, manuals, receipts, bank or credit card statements as proof of ownership.

Who do I contact to make a claim?

You can complete a claims form or mail us, please check all the information in the File a Claim page. Alternatively, you can call 020 8603 9958 (between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday), or email:

How am I ever going to remember all these different contact numbers?

We have made this easy for you. All the relevant contact numbers are summarised on the first page of your policy document. These can also be found by clicking the 'Contact Us' tab on the website.

Do I need to pay an excess if I make a claim?

There is an excess payment for some sections of your travel insurance policy; this means you will be responsible for the first part of your claim for each insured person making a claim.
This excess payment varies according to the policy and level of cover you have purchased. You will find full details in your policy wording.

What happens if I made a mistake in the information I gave you, or if my information has changed?

It is your responsibility to ensure the information you have given us is accurate to the best of your knowledge. It is also your responsibility to let us know if your circumstances have changed.
Incorrect information could invalidate your insurance policy and result in us declining to pay a claim. It does not cost anything to update your information, but certain changes to circumstances may affect your policy premium.